31 January 2013

Boy ,Girl or none


It's by no means a secret that if I were to have kids my dream would be to have a little girl but, is this sensible?

I love the idea of the mutual understanding we would share being of the same sex which would otherwise be lost on me, with an adolescent boy. I can't begin to comprehend their dilemmas and insecurities (do they have any) like I could a girls. But, when I look at girls today it's clear that they are not experiencing the things I experienced at their age. Everything seems to have gone in super speed for these kids. They are getting periods at 10 having sex at 12! Girls are just so vulnerable and unfortunately that bit more prone to peer pressure. The obsession with looks and fashion, the constant battle with our weight and figures. With girls developing so quickly it only leaves them vulnerable when they are even less equipped to handle attention from the opposite sex. 

Not to mention some peoples perceptions that we, as women, are inferior and don't deserve the same level of respect, be it religious interpretations or any other archaic reasoning. Entering the realm of religion as a woman is even more frightening, I won't get into this as I don't feel capable of being objective on this matter.

So, perhaps having a girl is not the most sensible idea for my future sanity. 

Let's consider how having a boy would fair.... Well as mentioned previously it would all be uncharted territory, I have no clue the things boys go through or how to get them through it. When I look at young boys today there seems to be a lot of knife carrying, drug taking youths. These kids have no respect for each other or anyone's life. They have zero sense of responsibility or work ethic. I don't claim that girls are exempt from this behaviour, in some circumstances they are just as bad. But how would I handle something like this? 

All this problematic behaviour is not down to bad parenting, there are social aspects, wrong friends etc. I can't possibly lock my offspring in a home with no access from outside but boy does that sound appealing when I read the news.  I fear the way things are going for kids, how will it be when my kids are teenagers? That's if I dare to take such a leap.

4 comments:

  1. I think every mother asks herself the same questions. Unfortunately we live in a society where things go with a maximum speed and it's difficult to get control over everything. Even if you were home, not working, and just looking your kids, you don't know what they are up to when they are not home. It's quite frightening... but I think all you can do is trying your best in showing them the right way of things. If there is love, respect, trust and understanding at home, there are more chances they will become good people. In term of child sex, believe me- girl or boy, it's all a new territory for you and you will learn as you go. I am sure you will be a perfect mother. No doubts about that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the older I get the more I admire mothers (good mothers) it is a mammoth task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pause on my caribean break , boy girl or in between it doesn't matter, all you could do,as a mother is your best, unfortunately the little buggers don't come with instructions book and if you don't like them you can't excange them, : P xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete