11 April 2013

Homework idea 1

At the risk of sounding cheesy and rather pathetic in a time when romance and love are viewed with ridicule and in a place where we are intrinsically negative even if we are happy. I can not find an object with more significance to me than my engagement ring.

My pure fascination with jewellery in general runs deep, with a life long obsession for theses gems. I practically have to be torn away by someone else as I stare longingly at others jewellery. I always longed to own a piece that held so many feelings and memories in it's power. I never had anything passed down generation to generation seeping ever deeper in the web of family history. I don't actually think my grandmother owns any jewellery and as for her mother and grandmother I would go as far as to say it probably never crossed their minds.  But then I guess it doesn't when you spend your days wondering how you will feed a large household with a slither of beef or make enough food for ten with 2 eggs.

Possibly among the smallest things I own its size is no reflection of its importance. It's faceted stone holds a promise of companionship. Its sparkle as it catches my eye in everyday movements a reminder of years spent together. The twinkle of the stones on either side a symbol of adventures yet to come. With it's caramel like smoothness and continuity around my finger I carry it like an emblem of this dream we all leap into when we decide to take this step with no certainty that what was felt when it was given will remain unchanged.

The whole process of getting to this stage has been a roller coaster, thrilling yet amazingly terrifying and unpredictable at times. Its importance is heightened that much more because of the doubts and fears that has to be faced to arrive at the decision.

Behind this ring stands someone who though surrounded by break ups and divorce, in a society full of greed, selfishness and lacking in compromise still hopes that this relationship will be unlike the majority. But, who enters such a thing with the idea of separation? Is it not jumping eyes closed into the unknown, holding hands and hoping wherever you land your fingers will still be interlocked?

Ok, this is my first attempt at my homework which is - to write something  (anything) about an object with meaning to me.

2 comments:

  1. I think its a lovely reflexion on life and the ring, i rather like short descriptions ! well done chick! ;¬*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly think it's great! I am big fan of your writing :)Well done :)

    ReplyDelete