24 April 2013

Starting creative writing DAY 3

I told mum earlier that I would rather go home but now I am glad my laziness (and slight nerves) didn't stop me.

It was by far the funnest lesson. It's weird that I feel this way considering I had to share my homework with my fellow students (in groups of 3's pheww, not in front of all 11) and comment on each others work. Both guys were very nice and gave some good comments. I have my fingers crossed that they found my work as interesting as I found theirs.

Once that was over and done with, which took most of the lesson, because we then discussed a piece per group with all the class.

We were shown the following video....


And asked to write about it in first person. So we could be the girl or the guy simply explaining that situation, the emotions etc. It could be done in retrospect or as it happens but the idea was to explore their thinking.

Here is my 10 minute attempt.......

I decided to ask Mike out for dinner, well sort of a date really. In the hope that being outside the house in an environment devoid of all the usual distractions, t.v, phone, internet for him and house choirs for me, we would find ourselves more able to share some quality time. I made sure to make an extra effort. I wore a lovely dress that had been bought a while ago in the hope that an occasion for it would arise. I put on heels which would obviously have me limping home, but what the hell. If the idea was to reinvigorate our relationship I could hardly do it in jeans and trainers.

Things started of well, with the menu offering us a leeway into a discussion and some light conversation. We decided what to order, the waitress took note and the starter arrived in much the same time we had descended into silence. This is what our marriage had become, days could go by and our conversations never veered of the usual everyday essentials. Good morning, have a good day, how was work, I think I'll go to bed now, could you turn the volume down and all the variations.

I don't know exactly when it happened but in our 10 years together we seemed to have exhausted all topics of conversation.  I can recall times when conversations would continue through the night because there seemed to be so much to say. Had we said too much at the start and left each other nothing for the future? Surely not all relationships turned into this? 

Mike had lost interest in me, we had lost touch with what motivated us, what enthused us and routine had quickly stripped away all the enjoyment. We were no longer students, we had jobs that meant we could pay the rent and take the occasional holiday but neither of us found work particularly fulfilling. 

I had given up initiating conversations too so I know we are both to blame. But, there is a limit to how long someone can keep holding the fort. Sitting in the restaurant it was obvious to me that all other tables were deep in conversation. Why were they any different? What was their secret?

Looking back perhaps it was too late, my mind was pretty much made up at that point.  Maybe all I wanted was to give Mike a heads up on the situation, to help him see something was seriously wrong and spare myself the horror of seeing him bewildered with no clue as to why I had had enough. 

I know for him having nothing to say and simply being together had become comfortable and sufficient. I guess he felt we knew each other and living together what more could there be to share? But for me it became impossible to imagine another 20-30 years down this path where if Mike managed to stick around it would have only been only a physical presence because emotionally we had already spent a few years apart.  

That's it! :)

And homework for next week....

Re-write a fairytale in 1st person no more than 2 A4 pages. :)



2 comments:

  1. oh how sad for Mike!! im almost in tears but well done!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad, and true. This is what often happens with the couples after some years of being together, unfortunately. Not all the couples though. What's the secret then?
    Well done JO, I really like it ;)

    ReplyDelete