25 January 2013

Is it only short little me or do some people just take the biscuit?




I know the idea of things going smoothly everyday when you're trapped in sardine proximity to a load of strangers, smelling of an overwhelming variety of body odours in the summer and coughing, picking theirs noses and sneezing in the winter, are slim but come on!

I can't recall just how many times on the way to and from work, on the underground, I have found my head used as a newspaper rest. Honestly, what is going through tallies (tall people) heads when they decide this is acceptable behavior?

Surely, if they can do this I should be able to use their belts, lets say, as a method of holding on when the train grounds to a halt and I am trapped in that bit by the door with only the high pole (the tallies domain) across the top. You know the one... the one I CAN'T REACH! At least I would have my safety as an excuse what's theirs? Is their culture awareness so dependant on the couple of minutes using me as their apparatus?

Or perhaps using the tail of their coats to clean my glasses would be acceptable. No? Would this be rude! Would that be a step too far?

It infuriates me, there are not many times when my height, or lack of, bothers me but when people act like they can't see me it really makes me want to kick them with my little hobbit legs!

Is their any dismissive commuter behavior you hate? Other than the pushing, inconsiderate everyday stuff?

P.S. I don't think this will be the only commuter rant you will be privy to. Be warned!

1 comment:

  1. Hahah, I know it's not funny, but the way you write about it makes me laugh.
    Even tough, most of the times I don't have any problem with holding on to the pole, for many other reasons you just quoted, I absolutely hate using the underground, and try to avoid it. I am lucky enough to use on a daily basis an over ground train, but I totally understand your frustration. There is no excuse for using you as a newspaper rest- it's very rude! You must sometimes feel like Alice in a wonderland with all those giants around you. I am actually surprised you never told such a person off. I think you should, as it's totally unacceptable. "You should toughen up a bit, you know?” Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete