24 January 2013

My love of those local shops.



I don't want to generalise but these shops that I am proclaiming my love for, generally speaking, are run by Muslim men, Indians, Pakistanis or Africans. Perhaps it varies by area but those are the ones I know.

These shops stock a range of supplies that could save you in a cooking related emergency. Maybe you need a spice or condiment they will have it. Or lets say halfway through baking a cake you realise you are missing a vital ingredient...there they are with flour, eggs and sugar at hand. There may not be a variety of products but in a cake emergency anything will do. Right? Or perhaps friends are popping in and you notice the fridge is low on beverages. Well worry no more the corner shop will save you from that embarrassment.

But, by far the time when corner shops show their worth is during the Christmas/new year break. When you run out of milk and no other shop is open, these tiny places come to the rescue. My mums local shop even boasts of fresh baguette. Fresh baguette! Baguette!!!!

So, what led me to this confession of love? Well, yesterday I found myself on the hunt for a chunk of pumpkin. No, not because of some bizarre craving but for my Bella's (my cat for those who haven't had the pleasure of being introduced) dietary needs (let's not get into the what's and whys). I went to the large Sainsburys close to work, then Mark's & Spencer's and Tesco's. I had just about given up when I recalled a tiny place I frequent when low on plantain ( another reason to love them) and there it was among hills of casava, potatos and onions the much needed pumpkin. Thank you once again, like knights in shining armour you provided what no other could.
Perhaps the admiration for these places is mine alone or perhaps I require ingredients and supplies that only a very small minority search for. You tell me. Have you found yourself in my shoes? Metaphorically speaking otherwise do give them back. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love those little shops. I agree, you find there things that are difficult to find anywhere else, and most of the times, they are cheaper than in any supermarket.Unfortunately, where we live at the moment, there are not many of them...

    ReplyDelete